Saturday 27 September 2014

Ikuforiji Speaks On His acquittal

Few hours after the Federal High Court in Lagos, western Nigeria acquitted him of money laundering charges, the Speaker of the Lagos State House of Assembly, Adeyemi Ikuforiji, has said that he had learnt his lessons.

The lawmaker, while speaking at a press conference that lasted only a few minutes at the House of Assembly on Friday, stated that the biggest lesson he learnt from his three-year travail in the hands of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, is that perseverance pays.

Ikuforiji noted that his perseverance in the face of daunting challenges, his faith and hope paid off for him.

[caption id="attachment_3895" align="aligncenter" width="800"]tcMn2ijn51298VI52TF8LcHJ Lagos Speaker Ikuforiji[/caption]

He added that the victory was jointly shared among the lawmakers and staff of the House as well as the state government and journalists who, he said,stood on the side of the truth, despite being bombarded with lies”.

“Victory is sweet but I have learnt to wait patiently for it. It is a victory for our party, the All Progressives Congress, and everyone who has stood solidly by me in the last three years.

“The struggle goes on; our work is not done. While we savour this victory, we must remember that we still have a lot of work to do.

“This victory is a call to action. As the 2015 general election approaches, we must rally round to ensure victory for our party at all levels. Our politics should not divide us.

“To those who have attempted but failed to humiliate us and defeat the course of justice, I bear no grudge.

“However, I ask them to join me in the big task ahead. By pronouncing me not guilty, in fact, by dismissing the bases on which the needless trial was wrought, the Federal High Court has renewed my commitment to the struggle for a greater Lagos State.

“I am not tired; the task of governance must go on and I will continue to serve Lagos, its people and our country to the best of my ability.

“I promise to never betray the confidence reposed in me; today’s victory is historic; it will spur me to work harder for the growth of our dear state and progress of our people.

“My victory today compels me to rededicate myself to the arduous task of lifting Lagos State to higher heights. It also propels me further in my personal and political struggle to protect the enviable legacy od good governance, sterling leadership and unmatched excellence for which Lagos State has come to be known,” the speaker said.


It would be recalled that Ikuforiji was Friday acquitted of a N600 million money laundering charges after a lengthy trial period at the Federal High Court, Lagos.

The speaker is among those nursing ambition to contest for the governorship election in Lagos State next year.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

share your view with us