Wednesday 17 December 2014

In Secondary School, I Was MolestedBy A Priest – Psquare’s Wife LolaOmotayo-Okoye Reveals


Lola Omotayo recently revealed at the
Kinabuti Dare2Dream Project in Lagos a
secret part of her life to help out young
girls at the project.
Lola revealed that when she was in her
secondary school days, she was molested by
a priest and she could not tell anyone in
her family.
She said that the situation repeated itself
in a former relationship before finally
meeting Peter of P-Square and then
getting married.
Excerpts of her speech below…
“You shouldn’t let your past determine
what your destiny will be, we all have our
past whether good or bad or makes us
unhappy, we all had a life that we lived
that we are not happy about, you shouldn’t
let it bother you from succeeding.
When I was a young girl in my early teens
in high school, I was molested by a catholic
priest, i blamed myself, i didn’t tell
anyone because i was ashamed, couldn’t tell
anyone cos i felt everyone would blame me,
so i carried on the guilt and bitterness
with me for years. I was filled with hate
and i became a angry person, i was
rebellious, i didn’t want to listen to
anybody…and because i wanted to be
expelled from school to avoid seeing this
person, i would do so many terrible things,
everything around me was just so negative,
i felt i wasn’t good enough….
the love of my life and i’m like, okay this
guy is cool, he loves me…and then he
started to abuse me….i was beaten black
and blue all the time, in front of friends,
in public and at a point i felt, you know
what I am not worthy enough, there is
nothing about me that is nice, nobody
loves me but i hid this from my
family….i felt like a loser..so it was hard
for me to focus..so one day i woke up and
said i am going to change my story and i
dumped that person, focus on my education
and decided to be serious and be
something….i decided to get a job and go to
school full time in America…
I worked hard…my parents were sending
me money cos I didn’t tell them i was
working but i was working because i
wanted to be independent…I didn’t want
to depend on any man or on my parents
even though they would have done
anything for me…so i did all sorts of job, i
was a make up artiste, i worked in a cafe,
school library, i did so many things and i
didn’t realise that these jobs were
building me up as a person, building my
resume, my confidence….people began to
like me because i was adding value to
their lives….at work i was excellent and so
was i in school and that built me as a
strong woman…and at some point, i sought
counseling to get over my molestation
issues where i was made to see reasons why
i wasn’t at fault cos i was a child then…
today I am accomplished.
You can be whatever woman you want to be
but you have to believe in yourself, if they
reject you today, it doesn’t mean you should
let your dreams die, you have something
unique about you.
Look at my husband, when i met him
peeps were like what are you doing with
him, he has nothing but i stood my ground
and choose to stick with him cos he had a
dream. He and his twin brother did not
let their dream die, they worked
hard..look at them today! I stuck by him cos
he had focus and drive and today i am
happy, i have a good life, we are happy
and we have got a beautiful family. No one
can make you a loser.”
Lola is married to Peter Okoye of the P-
square fame, they have two kids together. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

share your view with us